Thursday, November 18, 2021



 I put out a call to friends on FB to help me get some portrait practice in. I've done tons of me, but I need to broaden my skills. The process I'd want to employ, were I any kind of professional, is to sit a person down with a video camera recording them and just talk. Later, I can go through and find moments that feel not only very much like THEM but which are a lot more candid, real and not posed. With Nick, there was a moment where he was explaining something animatedly with his hands moving about, though barely in frame. I really liked the addition of at least one hand as it helps to break up and balance the composition. The top is the pencil sketch done in Procreate. The bottom is the 99% finished final. I want to go over it for some final adjustments. The shapes were done in greyscale an then I overlaid a couple layers using colors got from a peach faced lovebird, one of Nick's pets. It made a great palette, I think. I'll post the final later but I'm pretty happy with this one.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Wow! I love the sketch! The almost final image looks amazing and clean and shows great expression and character! The colours work, the “pose” looks natural, you outdid yourself.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. :D