Tuesday, November 16, 2021


 Coming up later in this track is another switch of style, though it was one planned all along. I wanted to capture some of the frenetic energy of the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" song in "Yellow Submarine." It was the only part of the movie animated like this and while it wasn't something I appreciated as a kid, I can find some beauty in it now. And, to be fair, I've been doing portraits in this kind of style for a long time. So I guess it made an impression. Just wanting to do a proof of concept, I took an existing image of Digby, inked it with a technical pen brush and then just kept the brushstrokes as loose as possible, assigning colors after the fact. I got what I wanted. I hope it adds a sense of movement, of dance when its done. Will also likely be looking for inspiration from the "Gotta Dance" sequence of "Singin' in the Rain," which is a part of that film that doesn't fit the rest at all. Time to have some real fun, I think, though the mice were a nice break from the more dreary parts with Silas.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

A style switch? From you? This looks cool and I don't know why but a little creepy. I can't put my finger on why. maybe its the eyes or the 'disintegrating" feel I see from the colour brush strokes.

T' said...

Well, I'm not going for creepy, so we'll see when an actual page comes out. :D