Tuesday, May 03, 2022



 I was more in a portrait mood than a comic mood tonight. The bottom image is from what I think is my most successful real paint portrait to date. I think I'm alone in this, but there's something about it I really like. It took me about half an hour; it just came together and the palette was almost as spontaneous as the rest of the painting. It's acrylic on brown paper. I've been meaning to update it and tonight was the night. I tried to keep to a similar palette but used the iPad instead. I have less hair than I wish but at least I still have the same hoodie. This one, too I think is rather successful and took me about a half hour or so. Perhaps a bit more. I think there's a weird, almost photographic quality to it which makes no sense. And it does look like me. So, there's that.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

The colour palette looks close but the brown base of the first really warmed it up while the other looks cooler to me. Never look at your own hairline.... NEVER. Do you have self portraits from many years ago? I do that did view photo of me every 5-10 years or so and it's an interesting thing to do to yourself. It would be something to see hnot just hoe you looked over the years but how your art has changed and improved over the years.

T' said...

I have MANY self portraits from over the years. The one pictured second is from 2010 and I have a few from before that, I think, though that was the best one for a long time. Heck, there was that month long selfie project I did around the same time that I did like 30 different drawings from the same photo. I think there is improvement, some of it is just ease and speed of making.

Vincent-louis Apruzzese said...

I think I remember the 30 drawings of the same photo. I have to admire you for being so dedicated. I avoid mirrors and pretty much always have so the idea of looking at myself so long is really not fun for me! There are vert few photos of me even with everyone have a camera in their hand 24/7. I figure that is probably best for the future of humanity. I don want to continue trying to get portraits of many of my friends. I used to know a lot of people who , for good reason, loved to be in front of a camera and would want portraits but not so much these days.