Saturday, January 21, 2023


 Of course I wandered back into portrait making while working on the comic. This is Joan Blackwell, one of the hosts of "Portrait/Landscape Artist of the Year," one of my favorite tv shows. I wanted the lines for her wrinkles to be there but faded way down so that you could see two different versions of her at the same time. It would be a total bitch to print because of that. It also doesn't work real well on the internet as most people will be looking at it on a small screen and those details will be lost. I took a screen shot of her on a beach, liked the idea and the colors, so went with it. 

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I never think about the internet when I make art, even though that is where most people will see it. SO many people think my drawings are photos because they just give a quick look on the phone, sometimes even my pen and ink drawings! I enlarged this one and there I good amount of detail in there! I don't know why but I was drawn to her look right away. Maybe she reminds me of someone? I still have never seen the show.

T' said...

She's a presenter on the BBC and other channels over there so it's possible you've seen her somewhere. And I totally agree about seeing stuff printed out instead of just on a screen. Even though my stuff is mostly digital, it's really meant to be eventually printed.

Behemoth media said...

One thing that makes me mad is when someone keeps referring to my art as "that photo" like photos and drawings are the same thing. It just gets under my skin. (listening the podcast but had to stop because I am shredding 15 years of tax forms I don't need. I stopped after the Starcrash reference since that would obviously be the highlight of the podcast.)