Saturday, January 28, 2023


 And once again, I am outguessing myself or second guessing or whatever. While I like Zappa's character, I really didn't like the way the last page looked. There was something about it that didn't work for me. Perhaps it was just too far away from the style of the previous page and the rest of the comic. So I had another idea that would allow me to move forward, keep things 'simple' and reuse some of the work I already did. Flyers. As Digby walks out of his part of the story, we see flyers in the background with Zippa on them, singing the song as before but with blocks of text, etc. I would still be using photo backgrounds, dumbed down as I did before, but also trying to keep them as simple as possible. This will add to the 'selling' idea of the song. The process is a little more complex; I have to 'age' the images to make them look like they were both done on a crappy Xerox machine and that they've been out in the world for awhile. I print them out on wrinkled paper then scan them then vectorize. It seems to work pretty well. The above is just a quick paste together of various elements to see if they work. For my money, they work a lot better than the previous versions. I just have to get past this track...

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I think the lyrics in the posters is a brilliant idea! It works! The image looks like it has a rubylith layer on it… if you know what that is! I used it when I stood a course in reprographics in the 80s!

T' said...

Ahh, rubylith! I remember it, never had to work with it. Thanks!