Thursday, August 22, 2024


 I don't really talk about this here as it's not 'art,' but this is one of the other things I do that I'm proud of. "Max, Mike; Movies" was a project I started with my best friend Max Levine over six years ago. It's a weekly podcast about, well, movies. We generally do eight episode series about specific topics or guidelines. We started with a series called, "I Can't Believe You Haven't Seen That." which was movies that one of us hadn't seen and the other, well, couldn't believe it. Other series have been things like guilty pleasures, remakes, James Bond and the like. We've been weekly for most of the run, only missing a handful of episodes here and there. There are marathon episodes where we discuss all the Star Wars movies, all the Batman movies and, most recently both Dune films.  We have a tiny audience but we're not doing this for fame or money (good thing), we're doing it because we love to. It's also flexed my film interests quite a bit here and there. It's about six hours' work a week between watching the movie, writing the script, recording the show and editing it. When all is said and done, I have something priceless; many many records of conversations with my best friend about one of our favorite subjects. And this is only one of two podcasts of which I'm a part.


"Cue Footsteps" is a project I got involved with about four years ago. It was the dawn of Covid and my sister, Valerie Kuhns was bored. She got a couple friends and I together over Zoom to read one act plays she'd written. I did not consider myself an actor so, at first, just watched or read stage directions. Soon, encouraged by Val, I did take a part or two. A few more folks were invited, a couple left and we started recording radio show type plays on a bi-weekly basis. She really stepped up, not only writing and directing and performing in each episode but she jumped into an unfamiliar operating system (Mac), learned a couple different apps as well as how to publish a podcast and made a show out of it. We might not have a large audience for this one, either, but we pretty faithfully get together every monday night to either rehearse or record. It's good fun and well worth listening to. I've certainly grown from this experience as well.

So these are reasons there isn't as much art posted as I might like. I don't regret that as I think both these things help round me out as a person. Now, hopefully, back to the art.

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

I would argue there is quite a bit of art in both your podcasts. You use your increasing voice talents in one and do an amazing amount of creative work writing, recording and producing the other. I am exhausted just thinking of how much effort you put into them!