Thursday, August 15, 2024



 Working on an experiment of sorts, using the WORST photo ref ever. It's a screen grab from a terrible MST3K movie, "The Beast of Yucca Flats." The director, Coleman Francis is horrible, to say the least. There are two shots of this woman that somehow struck me and I took two screenshots to use as reference later. They're low-res and out of focus. Still, I'm trying. And I wanted to do it without any shapes and only using tones to suggest the skin. So far, she looks a bit old so I'll have to work on it. It's more painting than usual so I will continue. Editing will make a huge difference.


Here's a version without the darker lines. I think I like it better. This still needs more work and observation.


2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I am beginning to question your film choices, lol. I find often bad references can make better drawings, maybe because it would be hard for me not to improve them somehow or because i am less hung up on trying to make the drawing look too close to the reference.

T' said...

My film choices are HIGHLY questionable! The problem with lousy photo ref is that there are often details you just can't parse and that makes representation difficult, especially if trying to hold to some kind of resemblance.