Thursday, July 04, 2013

Manga Joe

Took a break from other things and styles yesterday as I came across some images from 60s manga and decided to play around with them a bit. Because of the big eyebrows, I decided that Joe Flash would be a good character to adapt. So I did. It's fun to see how someone else approaches a given subject, how the abstraction changes from place to place. This era of manga has a more 'Mickey Mouse' approach to it than current day stuff. By that I mean that you couldn't really rotate the head logically, that some details are drawn utterly differently than they would appear from other angles (such as Mickey's ears) based on aesthetic rather than spacial concerns. For me, this is often a hard step to master as I'm so used to trying to make designs work three dimensionally, to make visual sense. The Mickey approach is fun, too and is far more abstract than the usual. Tamino was like this. Lucco wasn't. Anyway, just an excuse to push in a different direction for a moment. Moving on.

No comments: