Sunday, April 24, 2016

The last image of Silas I liked well enough but it felt like it was lacking something. So I'm working on another. Don't think it's going to be a comic, or if it is, it will require a lot more drawing than anything else. Silas always painted in images, not tags or the typical, large mural of just his own name. He was supposed to be telling people something as told to him via dream by the City (me). So that's why I had the cat face going on in the last one. But that's not all that interesting. So now I'm working not only on other images for him to be painting but also text which, like Smatt and Terry, will be in a graffiti style but worked more into part of the background. As I grow older, I find I like word balloons less and less. They just don't tend to mesh with the artwork they surround in general. An old buddy of mine noted that hand drawn letters always looked better than a typed font, and I think I agree, but those damned balloons look like ass and cause the reader to switch gears to make sense of the words. So I'm trying, like I said I was with Ghiroy to work any dialogue or monologue in this case into the art itself. Did some research on both images in graffiti, mostly from South America as they seem to have the most fun, image-heavy stuff for both the writing style and the cartoony guys Silas would paint. I want there to be more tags, like the first and more details in the alley itself. Also did another pose. I'm enjoying the research and assembly of an image in this way. I'm sure tons of other people do it as well, but I haven't, in general, done things quite so detailed as this before. Maybe I'm moving on from comics. Who can say?

No comments: