Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Watched a couple of short painting documentaries tonight and got in the mood to paint. I don't really paint all that much any more, partially because it's a pain to drag all the stuff out, partially because the last few attempts haven't been very satisfying. Now that I've fixed my tablet monitor (the pen died), I've been poking at all those real media brushes I've bought for PS. I've had a few photos chosen for portrait demos at work. This was one was a famous photo of Warhol by Richard Avedon. It's very honest and in your face, and it's very Andy as well. Still don't know how I feel about Warhol, but he makes a decent subject. I guess this counts as a 'speed painting' as I kept it under an hour, start to finish. Sadly, this is how my painting happens; either it works, all at once or it doesn't work at all. Continuous poking at a painting just leads to a muddy mess for me. Oh, well. I was fairly happy with this one, making sure to stop before I thought it was really done. I've heard that's a key to keep from overworking something.

No comments: