Thursday, April 12, 2018

UPDATE: Looking at the next page's thumbnails, I noted that the transition from this page to the next was going to be more complex than I wanted it to be. I had to get Silas out of the subway an to the walls he'd be painting. That meant more images per page than I was comfortable doing. I don't believe I have to show every moment for people to follow my comics (even if they can) but going from drawing in the train to painting on an alley wall was too much of a jump. A solution popped into my head as I looked back at some Tamino pages; change what he's drawing and then drop him into the drawing. The page after will have the painting done more in the style of the rest of the comic and that will finish the transition. No need to show him walking out of the train, up the stairs and down the street; I think the audience will get it. If they get anything at all.

So I went back to the original drawing for the bottom of page 34, put a new piece of paper atop it, sketched a rough 'city,' which is what he'll be painting and used PS to merge the new sketch and old drawing together. Then, back to SV to make a new set of lines. Finally, had to refit the new lines over the old ones so I didn't have to redo the color layer. About 40 minutes of editing which will save me hours of work. For once, I was actually retroactively efficient.

No comments: