Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Still working with this 'pose' in my quest for style. One of the things I envy about other artists is that they tend to work in one style, have been doing so most of their careers and as such, are more or less comfortable with that set of filters. I have too many interests and as such, change how I approach things all the time. I've been told that this is a strength. I don't think that's true. So I will continue to attack this selfie with various approaches until I feel comfortable with an approach that, to me, feels like a 'modern' approach to doing portraits. I like this one though I worry that it leans a little too far into caricature. This was something I saw worrying the judges in "Portrait Artist of the Year." And yet there is occasional hints of street art influence, something I think is important. Likely, I'm too old to be any kind of leader in this so I'll just have to keep making these for me. The last few I did, the Mel Coolie, the Anton Karidian and the slightly elongated one of me I had printed out and are coming in the mail. This will be the final test to see if this is something I could do more or less professionally.

No comments: