Monday, April 06, 2020

No more comics.

A post with no image! I've been thinking a lot about what art I want to pursue lately. I find I've been pulled towards doing comics less and less, to the point that, while I have a lot of free time right now, I haven't wanted to touch Ghiroy at all. And "City Silent?" Haven't done a new page of that one since last August. Can't help but notice that the song I stopped on was, "White Canvas," a song about writer's block, or artist's block. I came to the decision that I simply don't have whatever spark there is to keep doing comics. They are long term projects and require a certain dedication as well as a consistency I'm having more trouble with, not less. If I'm going to be honest, they feel more like work these days and less like fun. I'm really enjoying doing more with portraiture and even occasional illustrations. The single image allows me to problem solve and then move on, either to another image, another style or both. The portrait work I've done in the last year dwarfs output on both comics, but in quality and quantity.

Does this mean I'll never do another comic, ever? Don't know. But for now, comics are not going to be on my docket. I love the ones I did, glad I finished the ones I finished, feel badly about the ones I didn't. Now, it's time to move on.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

:(

Sad to hear but not unreasonable considering how hard it's been for you to move ahead with the current projects. You are doing single images you love so that's what counts in the end. You aren't giving up as much as moving on.

T' said...

I like to think that, too although I hate not finishing things. Maybe this will just lead to my making and finishing even more things.

Behemoth media said...

I know how you feel, I just can't give up on an idea and sometime will come back decades later to it when I think I have figured it out.