Thursday, April 09, 2020

Still working on this portrait with yet another version. I ordered a set of four paints through the mail and they came today. Worried that I might just like the idea of painting more than actually doing it, I used the sketch I did yesterday, married it with the original sketch, printed that out and transferred the drawing to a canvas board I happened to have. Most of the night was spent just getting the outlines done, then getting the whole thing covered in paint. After that, I started doing some observation and dabbing colors here and there. The Zorn palette (just black, white, yellow ochre and cadmium red light) is really tricky to work with. The black is the only remotely cool color. Greens, such as the grass behind him are impossible. What was interesting was that, just as I put the brush down for the night, I realized that I was able to get a very bluish grey on his jacket. Lots of work to be done still, not least of which is learning to use this palette. Also might be one of my best starts ever with real paint. Which means I have plenty of room to screw it up tomorrow.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

You are going to know this guys face inside and out by the time you are done with this project!

T' said...

I know, right? But will I ever get it the way I really want it? Probably not. :D