Wednesday, June 09, 2021


 City Silent page 103. Rooster, the mouse that won't stay dead. I killed him off in "Smatt's Odyssey," a comic I wrote when trying to deal with the death of my mother. One of my friends, when I told him where the genesis for the comic was coming from said, "You should have made a comic about THAT. THAT sounds interesting." Then again, this friend was always trying to tell me what I SHOULD do, never commented on what I was doing or what I wanted to do. Rooster won't stay dead, though. He's shown up since that story here and there. Of the three, though he's the youngest, he's the most tenacious. Somehow, he's even angrier than Smatt, and that takes some doing. I have NO idea why I'm writing this. But it's my blog so I'll write what I want.

Had some fun with the word balloons here. When are word balloons not word balloons? When they're not word balloons. I've learned to hate word balloons. To me, they just stick out and say, "I wasn't given as much thought as the rest of the page! Look! Comic sans! Ovals!" Big, white discs that are there for no other reason than because that's what's expected. Well, my comics would be almost impossible to translate into other languages but since no one's even reading them in English, who cares?

Anyway, page 103.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I think all creative people have that same problem when other people decide to turn your art into something they want instead of seeing it for what it is. I am working on illustrations for a client to hang on the walls of their business and Robin saw my three versions and he went on and on about how they weren't good logos and looked like they belonged to a ballet company.... they were not logos, they were drawings... of ballet dancers.... he apparently wanted to see something else.

Nice mohawk and the grouping image in the newer post I thought looked interesting in that it looked like graffiti, the characters seemed part of the graffiti and it reminded me of some areas of downtown. It sort of is united by the chaos of all those images.

T' said...

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the overall pages looking like graffiti but that's a bonus! I mean, that was totally my intent! Always good to have another set of eyes.

Behemoth media said...

I really did remind me of walking sone a couple graffiti heavy alleys and walkways especially this spring when I was taking 2 hours walks on Sundays.