Monday, November 28, 2022



Hoo boy. My partner gave me a suggestion awhile back and it was one of those flashes that made me nearly gasp. What if the next track wasn't being sung by Ricci but by...Zippa? I had totally forgotten about that little bastard. And you know what? He really would be PERFECT for a song about how artists are selling out, how what they want is only the money and the prestige. There is, or was, some definite friction in the graffiti world when street artists would go 'gallery,' or some, like myself who were never 'street' at all pretending to be as legitimate as those who only stuck to the streets. Thing is, I just had a song sung by a fox and I couldn't see that working. So I plowed ahead with Ricci, trying to make him work. And he almost did.

But this morning, I saw a piece of digital graffiti with Felix the Cat and thought, "that's the kind of iconic look I do want to work into the comic at some point. So I started doodling Zippa in 'rubber hose' style. While I had to change his style a good bit, I think he works. And here, he can act as an alter-ego to Digby, his 'darker' or at least more monetary-focused side. This means I have to add a couple pages at the end of track six, showing Digby painting this guy on the wall then walking away. And when he's done so, Zippa can take over. Maybe sometimes when I'm stuck, pushing forward ISN'T the best idea. And this, I think, would be more fun to draw and a bigger contrast to the previous track. I know, a lot of fluff about nothing, but it makes sense in my head.

 

No comments: