Wednesday, November 30, 2022



 More work on this guy. I was a little disheartened after looking at yesterday's stuff. It just wasn't working for me and I was second guessing the whole idea. It all came down to the character design. It was too complicated, not iconic enough. I really wanted this to look like the results of a real graffiti artist painting something like Mickey Mouse but also making it their own. So I went back to the source, in this case Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. I have a book on the earliest of Disney characters. Pretty much ALL 'rubber hose' animation characters at this point followed the same rules. Disney's were more iconic than most which is why he kept going. I drew some Zippas, adapting the style but keeping it Zippa as well. At first, I wasn't sold. So I went looking online for images where people had co-opted characters and painted them. That gave me the breakthrough I needed. These, I feel, look like what I wanted. Vectorization really calms down the spray effects in a good way. So I think, with careful application of backgrounds, this little shit can do the song the way I want it done. It's all about selling, which was his thing in Tamino. Also, I'd wear a t-shirt with the top design, no trouble.

No comments: