Thursday, November 17, 2022


 When in doubt, give a portrait. Started this tonight, a portrait of my friend Kate. She's a lovely young woman, married to my buddy the Weezil. Last year, they were kind enough to take a portrait of him as a holiday gift. I'm hoping they're that kind again as it's getting harder and harder to find things for people. The two of them were over the other night and I snuck some photos. The ones of her were a bit blurry because of course I can't manage to take decent reference. Still, I found one that had a decent expression though it's going to require that I really figure out -hair-. I've managed to avoid it for a long time, but she has such nice, flowing hair that I can't really see not doing so.

One thing I've learned about my own process is that these drawings are really just undercarriage. They're a guide for something that won't look anything like this down the road. The lines are far more numerous than the finished product will be. As per the current style, I want to keep this to as few colors as possible. Step one. We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I don't mean this is bad way and I think you know me well enough not to take it that way. This looks a little like one of the "paint by numbers sets" in how well defined it is broken up into small sections to define the areas clearly. It's a great way to break down a complex image.

T' said...

I know exactly what you meant and that is, in essence, what it is. I'm plotting where the brush strokes will go or could go and keeping enough detail to let me know where the shapes are so when I edit it down, I'll know what can stay and what can't.

Behemoth media said...

Hair I break into flowing lines, I try to find the main directions that is is going in and then fill in the details from larger to smaller. For other stuff I break into shapes or areas but i often do one section at time and then ink it in. Often I think it looks terrible and isn't working out until suddenly enough it done and it sort of looks like it's on it's way to where I want it to go. Your way seems to sow less doubt at the start at least!