Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Watched a documentary on Salinger today and was struck by the photo that was taken of him while in military school, mostly because this is likely the only picture of Holden Caulfield. I'm not a huge fan of Catcher but I did read it. The documentary was interesting and worth watching. So I drew this. It's cockeyed on purpose as I accentuated some of the features of the photo.

All that being said, there is a distinct freedom with this blog. I know that only one person is really watching it so I can post and write what I want. I think a lot about my art, I put a lot into it both with effort and study. It matters to me. It has little audience and likely always will. As time goes on, I'm coming more and more to terms with it. The pangs, the sharp pain of its lack of acceptance come less and less frequently. Eventually, perhaps I'll stop posting it altogether and just keep it for me. It's on a totally different level of course, but not entirely unlike Salinger, huh?

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I am not sure Salinger is the best role model! In many ways I do understand where he was coming from in terms of privacy but if you start writing letter to underage girls there will have to be an intervention! You are pretty much the only person who interacts with my blog but according to google, many more people look at it depending on the topic. I wish there was a little more interaction on it but if it's just going to be you and me, I'm pretty OK with that as we keep in touch and get to share what we are working on.

T' said...

There is NO chance of writing to girls of any age! I haven't checked Google, though I do notice some activity for me on Flickr which I can't account for. In general, though, no one talks to me about my work or even asks about it. It just doesn't interest people. And, as I said, I'm getting more and more used to that. I, too am glad to keep in touch. It's been a hell of a long time since I saw you.

Behemoth media said...

It has been way too long since we were in the same room! No one talks to me about my work either, or shows anything but confusion as to why I bother to do it. My ex Toby, who is an artist will occasionally give me some productive feedback and you will tell me a thing or two.. that's it. I am sort of surprised I have kept my flickr account, I get a lot of people looking now but my tendency is to just file my stuff away in a folder and never show anyone... ever!