Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This is a sample of what it often takes me to get to an image I'm happy with. Three times. The first is me sticking pretty closely to the 'canon' of rubber hose style. I used a Speedball nib to make sure the lines were consistent all the way through. This helps to make a stiffer figure. The second was just referenced from the first and was inked with a brush, my usual tool of choice. It's better. Different mood, but still the same character. Then, throwing aside most of the preconceptions and 'rules,' I just loosely sketched the last one, letting the lines flow a lot more, really messing with the anatomy. I think it has a lot more life than either of the other two (if a bit more depressed). It's also, I think, more -me-. Often the best things I do are those that are the third version of something. I guess it's a form of refining. I do wish I could get to this kind of thing earlier on. Maybe next time.

No comments: