Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Not really a -closet- gamer, but it's not something I bring up all that often either. Of all the creative outlets I have, roleplaying has probably been my favorite, even over art. Why? Because when it's at its best, I'm engaged in many different ways. There have been times when I've truly learned to think as another person, or character and make decisions that aren't mine. Why is this a good thing? It helps me expand my own view, to try on another coat. Also, it allows me to flex acting muscles that I probably don't really have. Like it says in the comic, it's a kind of karaoke. I also truly believe that it's the only art form that cannot be appreciated from the outside. Sure, one can recount 'battle stories' and such but the feeling just isn't there. That's the paradox of gaming; everyone wants to tell their tales and few if anyone else really wants to hear them. It's easy to go overboard, place too much importance on gaming. People have. Few people. Most I know just really like the creative outlet. It's kind of make-believe for adults. More than video games, where you don't really get to make decisions, a really good game can be utterly immersive. If you haven't done it, I can't explain or if you've never been in a good game, same thing. Did this because it's kind of the anniversary of when I started gaming, and also because I just like to draw the new rabbit. :"D

No comments: