Wednesday, September 10, 2014

#32. I knew I wanted a few paintings for this series, did this one today. I started with a totally blank canvas and mind. Pulled some paints, perhaps eight or nine colors. Ended up using four. As I laid out the maize color, I roughed in the head shape then surrounded it with white. There was a vagueness I liked about what was going on, so that dictated the direction of the painting. Not my usual approach at all and it was really hard to keep things ethereal especially while trying to maintain some kind of likeness. Also, the big decision was when to stop. It's really really easy to keep going past a point of no return. In this case, my brush was getting really nasty, so I went to wash it. When I came back to the easel, I couldn't think of anything major that I wanted to do; it would have all been about fiddling with details, which is a sure sign that one should put the brush down and back away. When I am successful in painting, this is what happens. I attack the canvas, manage, somehow, to make something I like and then I can't ever hope to duplicate the process again. Sigh.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I like this one the best so far in the paintings series. I just like the colour palette I think. There is something mysterious about it as well.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. I'd like to think there's something to be said for all three of them. This one has the most colors in it; two kinds of brown, maize, white and black.