Friday, September 12, 2014

This is it, the final collection of the selfie project, minus the original photo that I used for reference. It's about a month's worth of work, really a little less. It's the biggest project I've completed in a long time, far bigger than the last (and only) show I put together for that bar four years ago. We'll see if anyone wants to show this. The ink drawings I'm betting will be a hard sell. I think I'm fairly well in the minority of folks who really like the look of just ink on paper. I left the pencil in, too because that's not only part of the process but there's something a little more active in the drawings with the pencil there. And since there's no white-out, no correction at all, I had to be really careful with the ink. Only made my first smudge on one of the last drawings and I managed to cover it up. This was a good thing to do over all, especially as it had me picking up the paints again. And these three came so easily for me. If it wasn't for the fact that this just adds to the PILES of completed paintings already choking my closet, I'd paint lots more. Should really do more digitally so it's not an issue but really, the feel just isn't the same. I have an affinity for the brush, not so much for the stylus.

I think this series, too showcases just about everything I love about art. There's experimentation, there's cubism, cartooning, a sort of Impressionism (hell, ALL of my work is like that as I tend to do it quickly, from observation and not from calculation). There are flowing curves and sharp angles. There are the primary colors. If anything, I think this series is a big autobiography. There's some sadness in some of the images, some humor, some seriousness. It shows a flow of time, it shows a change of moods, it shows the drive to get it done. It shows flexibility in thought and approach. I'm reading a lot into this and sounding all artsy, but it's still true. Likely only ever important to me and that's fine. So, out of nowhere, the selfie project.

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

well I don't know how anyone, including you, could look at this and not see what what a great artist you are. This would be a grew portfolio piece as well. Now just paint some naked girls and you will sell like mad! Mad I tell you! :)