Sunday, February 21, 2016

WHAT am I doing? Redesigning. WHY?! Well, here's the thing; I'm not getting any younger. I'm in my 50s and I won't be able to attempt this kind of project much longer. "Ghiroy" promises to be something around 500 pages, bigger than anything I've done before and while the length itself doesn't intimidate me, I know we're talking at least five years, likely more and when you're my age, that means I could well be doing this til I'm 60. Gah, that's a frightening thought. So I need to make as good an attempt as I can at something with more broad appeal. If I ever hope to make anything off my art, it had better be soon. At least with comics. So the designs needed to be softened. I've been looking at some Disney and later Pixar films. I don't want to make my stuff look like theirs, but I can take some lessons from them. So I did these, and the nude Crow yesterday. The expressions are from photos I took of myself. I think there's enough reference in the design while remaining cartoony as well. As has been the case all along, Crow's easiest. Mikilo is a little more challenging. The colored versions here aren't specific enough, so I did the pencil versions afterwards and like them better. The mage is next. She will be the hardest, but I think now I can figure out my variables and should be able to apply them to other characters as needs be. There will be monsters, too. The plants I think I have down, at least enough that I can move on from here. So.. every step closer. I swear it.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

More redesigns! Well if you are happier, thats what really matters. Afterall it's yo doing 500 pages in whatever style you settle on. I wonder if you will be able to draw those pages faster after doing all this prep work and stop questioning if it's the right style or not. Ghiroy's expression do seem a lot stronger in this style.

T' said...

I know. More more more, and yet less and less. What's going to be hardest is keeping to one style for the whole thing. Fite! changed. Tamino managed to keep on one note. So we'll see. Prep work SHOULD make it easier, at the very least, it will make it easier for me to see all the variables I need to create whatever I create in this style. Man, I really wish I had just the ONE style like most people. Would make things so much easier. And thank you.