Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Today was spent in sort of prep work for the next of these more detailed illustrations. The pencil sketch is the layout of the restaurant Digby and Marcel will be in. It's taken directly from a photo I took at my favorite restaurant, Harvard Square's Border Cafe. I've eaten there hundreds of times... well tens, anyway. I used to eat there 3-5 times a week with a local friend. It's never disappointed even if it hasn't really changed much in 30 years. Before I knew about this here perspective tool (thanks, Vince!) I traced the very least I could to get the layout of the place and freehanded the rest, which is in pencil. Since I now know I can do things flat and stretch them later, I decided to make the signs, which are painted all over the walls, ahead of time. They're all in Lucco speak (and the little otter will make a cameo in the very back of the place). I want to keep the feel of the place very much but I will also customize it to keep it from just being a copy, as I did with the Tokyo image. If this works, it will not only make things a lot easier, it will give a more organic feeling to the image as I won't have to have things quite so square or the signage so dull. Tamino obviously makes a cameo as well. No idea what he's selling but I'd totally recommend the hot sauce Lucco's huckstering. I'm sure it's awesome. :"D

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

Don't thank me citizen, thank technology... our new god! This scene looks good and detailed already, even in sketch form. I don't think I have ever eaten at Border Café!