Wednesday, March 02, 2016

A friend approached me yesterday about possibly doing a little back and forth comic. It'll be us having a conversation, possibly about art, possibly about whatever the hell we want. This person is what I consider a -real- cartoonist, i.e. he doesn't sketch, he has his characters down utterly pat and can just MAKE those things without having to diddle and fuss over them. So I needed a new version of me that would kind of fit the daily strip style of comic. That being said, I decided I'd color it in PS anyway. So what's here represents about an hour and a half's work, pretty much the fastest I've ever developed anything. I started out more rounded and quickly decided that the design in question only 'read' well from the side. Even at 3/4, he couldn't see past his nose and one eye was always missing. I changed some things around, got something I liked better but wasn't sold on. Finally, I was watching a tutorial online where one of the animators from the upcoming "Zootopia" drew the rabbit character, and I did that, too. You can see that sketch on the bottom right of page 4, I think. From there, I saw something else that caused me to change the eyes totally, which got me away from Disney (which is a good thing) and allowed me to make this more my own thing. Though I didn't mean to, this actually looks something like a cartoon version of a coyote I did about 15 years ago. Well, ok. So we'll see how this goes. Part of me is hoping that we can maybe corral some other artists into the mix. Might be fun.

Also, there's the thing I never talk about, my one graphic design client. Pandemonium Books and Games of Cambridge, Mass has been my one and only client for, oh, 18 years or so? I do his signs, t-shirts, bags and the like. It's a nice little side gig, though GD is not my best skill. I think I'm better at editing than I am creating in this case. Still, it's a nice little bonus once or twice a year. This is a set of stickers I'm working on for him. As I said, nothing really exciting design-wise, but it's good for me to do things outside my own box.

No comments: