Monday, October 31, 2016

Last day of Inktober. Did this one even a bit faster than the last one, partially because it's got less detail in it. That being said, I think I finally nailed what I want for the style of the comic. I do love reference but I often get too caught up in its details to really let myself draw. These two both had photos for the background but I tried not to let that dictate the feeling. The city should feel used, broken, dirty. It's as much a character as the folks wandering around. Also found a good use for that Lucco-speak lettering I do; it will provide a contrast to the actual English I use for Silas' songs and as such emphasize it without having to resort to word balloons. Because I've developed an allergy to them. I don't think I can actually bridge that gap where the brain disconnects from the art to read the words but by not circling them and pointing an arrow at them, I can hope that people's eyes wander a bit more than with conventional methods. Also, when coloring these, I think that the blocks need to be a lot more organic, that I used a lot more subtle shade variances so that there's a kind of 'texture' to what's behind. Usually, I leave things pretty flat. This time around, I think I should use Illustrator or Designer in a more painterly fashion. We'll see. It FEELS good in my brain but what does that mean?

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

It means you consume to work and grow!