Monday, January 09, 2017

First post and first Biography for the new year. Trying not to use Illustrator unless I really have to. That being said, AD has one annoying habit that I can't seem to get around: Ai was smart enough to export jpegs based on the size of the illustration, not the art board. Can't seem to get AD to do the same thing. Very annoying. That being said, I was able to get this colored and done while doing other things in the background, which says that I'm getting comfortable with it. This is a good thing. If possible, I want to do Silas completely in AD. As they update, perhaps it will make me wonder why I ever bothered keeping AI around. Certainly not paying those bastards 20 bucks a month. Ridiculous.

Other than that, I do have a lot I SHOULD get done this year. There's no reason not to. I'm nine songs into Silas, have the style down and am more interested in this than anything I've tried to start for years. Should have a website. No excuse for that. And if I'm going to make prints, I really ought to sell them. And live streaming! I do indeed have a 1080 camera that will allow people to see me sketch and ink which might or might not be of interest. Still, it seems a way to keep folks interested. Patreon kind of scares me a little. Every time I see someone start one up it seems to be SO egotistical. I don't really need folks to give me money. I've always worked AND done art, and part of me wonders about people that have the luxury of just having someone pay them to do what they do. In my case, I think I'd better have a distinct product, plan and guide or it won't work. Regardless, one of my other goals is to have more posts in this blog than I did last year. I know almost no one reads it (hi, Vince!) but it matters to me.

5 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Wow, you are in much better position to get stuff done this year than me! I have only the vaguest of ideas on what I want to accomplish this year with my art. I have started to go to Affinity photo over Photoshop lately for everything and so far I haven't come across anything I couldn't accomplish. I think that will only get better. Feel like you with Patreon, I STILL feel guilty over asking for money on Indie go-go for the Picnic film even though I finished it and got out my incentives to everyone. If I do another documentary, it would be a good idea to use it again but it does feel egotistical!

T' said...

Yah, it seems like there's a lot more ego with art online these days. Like people posting stuff like, "Sorry I've been away so long! Life has dealt me blah blah." Like people would necessarily be or SHOULD be interested in the personal life of anyone posting anything on the web. And Patreon... I totally get it and even pay half a dozen people for THEIR work, though most of them are self supporting and are using this as a sort of aside. I guess I respect that and am not so keen on folks that 'just want to stay home and draw all day.' Yah, that'd be nice, I'd like that, too but it's not exactly mature. I think that IF I do this, it will be for a distinct project, the Silas comic and not something where I think people would actually be interested in tuning into me like a reality show. Gah. Weird.

Behemoth media said...

A fixed project is a good way to get into it and not feel like its for some nebulous support my the starving suffering artist. I have been knocking around an idea for a video blog that would be really weird, but I'm too shy about to even mention it.. except I did just now. What? I said nothing!

T' said...

Hey, if you can goad me into making goofy videos that knock movies, I can poke you about yours. So, tell!

Behemoth media said...

maybe, but only in a private conversion, not hear where the ENTIRE WORLD is watching! More or less.