Sunday, December 31, 2017

This is the final new image for 2017. Haven't done a Year's End card since 2010. The Village at Year's End is a place that only exists one evening per year, a place, a repository for the emotions and happenings of the previous year. They're often sad, or at least melancholy. Silas was the last one pictured for one of these. I did a series with the Ice King and a few others. One of them is the only piece of art I've done for which I have no record at all. They all have little poems, some more than other. These are a little card to myself, something I prefer to Xmas ones.

Did the sketch in Procreate on the iPad but thought about developing it in AD. I think it was the right decision. That being said, Procreate has spray paint brushes and I wondered if I might be able to use it through Super Vectorizer in an AD file. As it turns out, I could and so was able to get something organic and yet vector at the same time. Pretty happy with that.

I've been keeping this blog now for 11 years. I had a goal this year to at least top last year's entries. That would mean I've been at least somewhat productive. In some ways, I have. I got two comics off the ground and am toying with a third. Biography continues with more entries than last year and, with a shift to Procreate, I might be able to make new pages more quickly. I wrote 27 songs for an opera comic, got that started though didn't get as far as I wanted. This year has the second most entries of the blog ever which I hope is telling. As long as Blogspot exists, I'll keep going just so I have something to refer back to. There's a lot of bad stuff in there, but hints and points I can re-read and work on later. So, I guess I should look on all this as a positive and hold tightly to whatever artistic momentum I can. Here's to 2018. Let's hope it's a damn sight better than the last year.

No comments: