Wednesday, August 17, 2022




 Something just wasn't working. I couldn't place my finger on what it was but I couldn't get the likeness where I wanted to get it. I redid the hair, a lot of the facial lines but still, there was something I didn't really like. So I started a second drawing on the iPad and I just didn't want to do another full grid. The original drawing, I thought, had all the information I needed. Perhaps it was the approach that wasn't working. So I opened a new canvas and decided to try and do tones instead of lines. And that came together really fast, though I screwed up and kept drawing on the wrong layers, meaning my grays weren't separated like I wanted them to be. I kept going anyway and shoved the image, one layer, into SuperVectorizer and wasn't displeased with the results. Then I played about with color, a lot. The first attempt had him orange skinned, blue haired. It was ok, but not great. Second was a set of purples. Finally, I decided on an old standby; taking the palette from a Rembrandt self portrait. Looking at the painting, I could tell that the varnish had yellowed a lot. I've been watching a lot of painting restoration videos so this now seems a lot more plain to me. I'm getting that no one wants to take the chance on restoring a Rembrandt these days. I toned down the cyan in each color and, after fiddling a little more, got the above. I also did one thing I've never done; I sampled Neil's real eye color and tossed it in under the highlights. That tiny touch of grey-green really seems to focus the portrait yet doesn't stand out badly at all. So, struggle but success? I'm pretty happy with it. I learn a little bit more with each one.

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

AH the drawing on the wrong layer issue... I know it well! I try to lock each layer I am not working on but that rarely stops me from finding a way to screw it up anyway. I look at the colour picker tool this way: I can spend a ton of time trying to match a colour, or I can use the colour picker and get the same result in 2 seconds. I often play with the colour after anyway but it still saves my concentration for other things.