Tuesday, August 16, 2022



 Working on another portrait. I think, even more than cartoonist, as I get older, I wish I was a portraitist. I'm getting better but there's always so far to go. I snapped a screen shot of a recent interview with Neil Gaiman. His is a very interesting face. I did a freehand drawing which was ok but then went to the grid. I overdid the lines as I needed them as a guide. It seems that more and more of my art is about the editing and not as much about the mark making. The top is overdone and unflattering. But it shows me WHY the lines are where they are. Then, I leave more and more of them out. The point for me isn't to make something utterly realistic, like Lucien Freud but still representative. The bottom is where I am now. It's getting there but the likeness isn't quite there and the hair, though his hair is quite scattered, is too fussy for my tastes. Not sure if I'll have to go back and start over or not but for now, it's not where I want it to be.

1 comment:

Behemoth media said...

I like the greyscale image, it does look like him so its successful in that regard. The scotch looks much rougher than many of you other sketches! You will find what you want out of it - Im sure of that!