Thursday, December 21, 2023


 I never really post these video things. Don't know why not. What you can't see here is that I start out using the grid system. The grid is hidden from the video playback. The reason I do this is because it takes a lot more time. Wait, does that make sense? Yes, because it forces me to really pay attention and mentally decipher what I'm looking at, to make a decision of some kind. Tracing will not give you this information or time to think. To the trained eye, you can tell that I do indeed do some tracing near the final drawing, but just of the highlights of the jacket. And then, in the end, I end up dropping them anyway. There's also a different head originally chosen which I do away with. While it seems that the painting stage doesn't take any time at all, that couldn't be further from the truth. I try and make the drawing as solid as possible so I don't have to do as much work when it comes time to paint.


Once I get each layer down, I pop them separately into Supervectorizer so I can change all those nice organic shapes into vectors. This process will simplify and smooth out the original marks some, but that's part of the process and one I often find surprisingly good. Then, it's just a matter of assigning colors. If you look at the upper right corner, you'll see the palette I made just for this image. It was taken from a self-portrait of Rembrandt I particularly liked. And you can also see that in the final image, there are two layers turned off. They're still there but this process allows me to turn layers on and off to see what I like best. Sometimes I do a lot of work on something that I won't even use. That's ok as long as I get where I want to in the end.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

When I was on Instagram that year, I was told that these work in progress videos would get a lot of attention especially if you include your voice, or better, yourself in them. I just couldn't do it but I don't dislike them, I just don't like seeing me do it. In a way it's a shame since it does show how much work you put into your art!

T' said...

I've heard they're the latest thing, too. Not going to bother. Doesn't really matter. But thanks!