Tuesday, December 26, 2023


 This one has been lingering for far too long. To be fair, it's going to be a monster. There's a LOT of detail that will have to be worked out. But if I don't start it at some point, it'll never get done. This will be a painting of Harvard Square, looking out at the Yard as viewed from the tables outside what was Au Bon Pain. It was a chance photo but it really worked well. I knew I wanted to make something for my best friend and this is his favorite place to hang out. I just wasn't sure how to approach it. Now, I think I do. So far, the part I like best is the bricks. The level of detail on the building actually seems too high to me, but we'll see. That's why I do these proof of concepts. The chair might be TOO simple and I might need to do some shading on it. Might be that most everything is 'flat' until items get closer to the viewer. Dunno. That's why I work these things out. Still, there's now some progress.


EDIT: Decided to try a little dimensionality to the chair. All I did was add a simple highlight layer and I think that added quite a bit. This means a little more detail to the bricks that are closest and to the tables that will eventually be there as well. But I think I will still refrain from putting shadows under things. It was an overcast day and there were no harsh shadows anyway and their lack will, I think, add to the image.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

When was the last time you did a stand alone landscape? The inside of the Picnic maybe? Adding the highlights to the chair really makes it work for me. Cant wait to see where you go with this!

T' said...

Stand alone? Yah, might be the Picnic. All the others have characters in them. Thanks!

Behemoth media said...

The others are just as good but not the main focus. I am glad i started landscapes and adding full backgrounds and placing the subject in a "place" again. Not often but more than I was.