Wednesday, December 20, 2023


 Finally had time to work on and finish this. "Dan Explains" is a portrait of a friend I got together with while in Chicago. We hadn't seen each other in over 25 years so had a lot to talk about. A good deal of that discussion was about gaming, something for which we both have a good deal of passion. I wanted to express some of the energy and passion he showed that night so used three photos to do it; one for the body, one for the hand and one for the face. As can be seen in earlier posts, his expression was one I changed radically as I did this. His response, "My hands are HUGE!" and "...I think it makes me look a little terrified." Ah well, can't win them all. I like it. I think it works. Was very happy to find that AD can make palettes based off images. As I really like Rembrandt's self-portraits, I chose one of them, adjusted the number of colors, added a couple of my own and was able to get those rich browns I love so much. I will likely play with this feature more down the road. Likely, this is the last thing I finish this year. But that's ok. It's all a construct anyway.

EDIT: As is often the case, I turned some layers off to see what I thought of less detail and...I think I like this version  better. Sometimes that's the way it goes; I have to do a lot of extra work which won't show to get where I want to. But this one feels less fussy, and more like the 'cut paper' style I was originally going for. So, there's that.


3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Taking away the detail bring more attention to the face. I like the expression! I think he looks like he is passionately talking about something. So glad you got this done before the end of the year!

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. I can't tell you how much your comments mean. These days, you're about it. Hope you and the lads have as quietly wonderful a holiday season as possible.

Behemoth media said...

I hope you do too. My comments aren’t much i know you have a much deeper knowledge of art and techniques, i am pretty lightweight but i do like your work!