Saturday, March 16, 2024


 I know this isn't art but you CAN see some art on the walls! This is my beast of a stereo set up, something that was given to me by in-laws a couple of years ago. The whole thing, cabinet included dates back to 1975. I had to have the receiver and turntable refurbished as they'd sat in a basement unused for over 20 years. But the system works beautifully even if it weighs an absolute ton. I got back into, or really INTO vinyl about 3 years ago and have over 250 records. I never listened to music much as a kid or even a teen. Once I started at the Picnic, I slowly got into a few bands, like The Police, Michael Penn and a few others. Music was one of the ways my partner and I first bonded over long distance. I gave him Counting Crows, he gave me Ani DiFranco and Melissa Etheridge. There is something just...cool about that behemoth with all its switches and knobs, the FM tuner lighting up in a soft yellow light. I often listen to music when drawing and I'm sure it informs what I'm doing.

One the things that's changed is my tastes in music. My old ones are still there, but I've also got into some jazz, some punk, psych rock, prog and funk. While a good deal of it's old, there are some new artists I really like as well. I'm really trying to expand. A lot of folks find their tastes and stick with them forever. I want to find new things. I think it helps keep me young and inquisitive. And really, music hits me emotionally like nothing else does. So yah, a post about my stereo. Why the hell not?

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I rarely listen to music as i work, it’s too distracting often. I will more often listen to podcasts, especially with repetitive mindless stuff as it has the opposite effect and helps me focus on the boring parts. I rarely find new music i like. I have never listened to much pop music and since i have no idea what will get my attention i have no idea where to look for it. In the old timey days you could be in music stores and follow the artists that artists you already liked were influenced by. Seems harder to do anything like that now. At least for me!

T' said...

Hey wait, are you calling "Max, Mike; Movies repetitive and mindless?!!! Well, I suppose we are, in a way! I like listening to music a lot as it helps set my mood and informs the work, or at least I hope it does. As for looking for new music, that's still hard but once I got into it, I managed to find a lot of stuff I wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

Behemoth media said...

Max Mike Movies gives homework! I have to give it complete attention!