Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Did these two tonight, but with totally different materials. The color version uses a drawing made with a crowquill pen and ink, scanned in then colored with Illustrator. The second was made using my new Yiynova tablet/monitor, a much cheaper alternative to the Cintiq that I received today. This was done totally in Illustrator and to me looks very much like the ink version. I'll need to make some adjustments with both the 'brush' in AI as well as the pen/monitor combo but this is one of the reasons I'm trying to go more digital. I have a lot to learn with this thing but it does seem to be the way Things Are Done these days and if I want to continue to progress, this is one of those steps. Drawing right on the monitor is something I've wondered about for a long while, but the Cintiq is just too damned expensive. The Yiynova is a quarter of the cost. I honestly hope they make in-roads before someone buys them up and shuts them down. There needs to be competition. Wacom has had this market to itself for far too long. I'll make more experiments. So far, I like it.

5 comments:

Behemoth media said...

wow! there is no noticable difference in quality or stroke from what I see! For illustration, I'd say digital is the only way to go becuase of the speed and ability to change things on the fly. It's not alwys faster ( my stippling takes at least as long if not longer) but you can use lots of tricks, expecially in photoshop to get effects impossible with real materials with just a quick adjustment. Ever since you told me abut the cheaper tablets I've been looking into them… so keep telling me how it's going!

T' said...

So far, it works well for this kind of line. I haven't figured out if it will work as well for making marks like my old brush. Then again, I've only really tried it with Illustrator. I'm sure I could get away with it in PS, I just don't know the program as well.

Behemoth media said...

photoshop has many more brush styles and is much more sensitive to the tablet. I prefer Sketchbook pro over photoshop for natural looking brushes, but neither has the the ability to make the beautiful lines you do with a real brush yet.. as far as I can tell. Sketchbook pro gives you a lot of control over brush parameters. I am working on a colour painting now… i'm not hating it so far and I'm using photoshop.

T' said...

That's the thing; I really want to make this work with Illustrator, not least of which because it's the program I know the best. Being able to resize without loss of quality is just too good an aspect to toss aside. Learning to digitally paint with this thing, though, is really tempting.

Behemoth media said...

illustrator has become a lot more like photoshop and has some nice shading effects now that were once photoshop exclusives. The resizing thing really helps in your work too. I only do "one off" images with no or little connection to the one before, you need to make yours fit into a whole graphic novel!