Monday, March 25, 2013

This is pretty much what I did today. The black and white is Digby pretending it's spring. I broke my little rule and did this in ink. I was taking a break from the digital work. Then the Tamino cover, which is what I was doing on the Yiynova had to eventually be done in ink as well. Why? Because I don't know this tool well enough to produce something of equal quality to the interior. Yet. The results were decent on the tablet, but just a lot better with the pen and brush. As it stands, I'm still a lot more efficient with ink. Then again, I've had 25+ years to get that way, and only a week with the tablet. The tablet skills will come and I already feel a lot better about it. I just don't need any more delays in getting Tamino out the door. For what it's worth, this is what the line work looked like done on the Yiynova:

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I do see a difference between one and the other, but like you stated, you've been inking for years and only had a couple days with the drawing tablet. I am finding a "third style" developing with mine as I navigate how much "like" natural materials I want something to be. It's taking me in new directions and saving me on paper… so I'm happy with that for now.

T' said...

Yah, eventually I will look to save on space and paper. I have a dozen sketchbooks easy and a whole couple drawers full of drawings from comics and the like. I still love my ink. But any jobs in any kind of illustration or animation industry seem to be made totally digitally these days. So it's good to learn.