Thursday, March 21, 2013

I've been working on fixing the final bits and pieces of Tamino to get it ready for release. This image is from page 96. I never liked the series from 93-96 so have been playing with them. This month, I decided to try and keep off ink so as to give the Yiynova a chance. It's a new tool and I have to learn to use it before deciding if it's for me or not. This was inked and colored totally in Illustrator using the blob brush on the Yiynova. So far the only real issue has been that the pen cramps my hand, but that's a fault of my hand and not the pen. I have this trouble with any pen if it's thicker than a pencil. I need to adjust my death grip on it. Yesterday, I was also a lot more tired drawing on it than I am inking at my drawing table. Adjusting its angle and proximity today has already made a difference. No reason not to have it as close to the set up I have for the drawing table as possible.

To my eye, the inking on this looks pretty much the same as in the rest of the comic, though this is a rather small example. If I can get the Yiynova and Illustrator to do what I used to do with ink, I'll be a happy camper. The one thing that happens every time I use the Yiynova that I wish didn't is that the resolution changes on my main monitor and I have to put everything back if I want to use my computer for regular tasks. Again, not the fault of the Yiynova, it's just the nature of the beast. So far, I'd say it's well worth its $600.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I get cramps and pains from the wacom tablet as well. Then again i got the same from my radiograph pens too. I'm thinking you've already mastered this device as your work still looks the same, you'd never know it was all digital now.

T' said...

Well, haven't mastered it as there's a lot more to be done with it than just a little inking. I haven't even tried painting in PS with it, and that, to me is where it should really shine. Thanks for reading as always, Vince!