Thursday, April 11, 2013

Something in progress. I think that when all is said and done, the Yiynova will not take the place of brush and ink for me. I'm simply too practiced in it, too fast to make it worth my while to learn a whole new tool to do something I already know how to do. Replicating skills isn't a goal I should aim for, I don't think. However. Something I haven't worked on much is learning to paint in PS. I've done a piece here and there, but really the problem has always been that I had a tiny tablet and painting while not looking at my hand was weird and off-putting. So I grabbed a sketch and started painting over it today. It's a LOT easier doing it with the Yiynova than it was with the Graphire and this is where I think it will allow me to expand. And I should learn to do this. Gets me out of my usual flat thinking at the least.

4 comments:

T Rogan said...

Firstly this looks rally good! Digital has it's place and I think for you colour like this is certainly one of them.
What I did to aid learning to use a tablet was to get rid of my mouse and always use the pen, I have done ever since - it helps, surprisingly! ^^

T' said...

Thanks, dood! I don't use the mouse at all. You really can't with PS. I bought a set of brushes for PS and am using them to learn to do this. I've done some digital painting before but not enough. Thanks for coming by!

Behemoth media said...

I think you go the the place where you stop trying delicate your physical work slavishly much faster than i did. You might try working with grey scale on the clothes for example in different layers then changing the colour with the hue/saturation controls. It's completely NOT like real painting, but in photoshop it oddly seems much easier to get the smooth transitions I like that way instead of mixing colours, the doge and burn tools help a lot too… and the ability to lock the transparent pated so you can't paint over them. Lots to learn!

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. I do know about the grey scale layer thingie, and it is analogous to oil painting. Like you said, lots to learn. I saw a tutorial where the artist kept one hand on the keyboard so he could immediately change his brush to an eyedropper which allowed him to get quick and smooth transitions in color. That trick I've used, but there are tons more.