Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Decided to do something a little more complex today. Had a lot of fun posing for all three characters. I posed for the other two members of the party as well, though because this was not well decided beforehand, there wasn't room in the composition for Crow and Francesca. No big deal. Mostly I wanted to see what a more or less finished panel would look like. The background could and will be a bit more detailed. I am pretty happy with the figure work. Played with the lighting and colors a lot, using old WB cartoons, especially "What's Opera, Doc?" as inspiration. Goblins are green but cooler colors tend to recede and I wanted something that would come forward while leaving the blues in the background. Also, red denotes blood, danger, etc. and that's where the action is in this image. For Mikilo, I first added 10% blue to all his normal coloration which wasn't really pushing it enough. He still stuck out like a sort thumb. So I selected all the bits of him, merged them into one shape, made it blue then turned down the opacity to about 20%. Not only did it tone him down and make him look like he's almost moonlit, it fuzzed his details a little, helping even more to shove him into the background. Not bad for something done more or less on the fly. What this does tell me is that the comic is going to take a LOT of work, which is fine. I enjoy this kind of thing. Thrown in almost at the last minute is the ring on the goblin's finger. Wasn't satisfied with it just being gold. I came back and added some runes to it. Details like that are important and I want to do a lot of them throughout the comic. Anyway, the laundry buzzer just went off.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

Mikilo certainly looks really in place in this and the colour choices make a big difference and I like how the sword, arm and cave edged put him in a "box" that lets the eye move towards him.

T' said...

I'd like to say that the 'box' was intentional but it kind of wasn't. I posed for the figures first, having a general idea of what I wanted and then fitted them into place (not a good way to do this). It turned out that the only good place for Mikilo was that 'box,' so there he is. :"D Been learning a lot about color and composition from a book about one of the old WB cartoon layout artists, Maurice Noble. He did the best of the Roadrunner cartoons, "What's Opera, Doc?" "Robin Hood Daffy" and lots of others. He's a direct inspiration for what I'm trying to do here.

Behemoth media said...

lets just say it came as one of your natural drawing instincts. :)
I just noticed something though, the foot of the most prominent goblin seems to grow from the shoulder blade of the lower troll at first glance even though the colour is different. maybe the foot could be pointed down a little more or something. Nothing big but just something i noticed.