Tuesday, September 26, 2017

I had a little time before work this morning, so I played a bit more with the new camera. For these tests, I decided to use a small toy as a focal point. I didn't want to set up any special lighting or do anything other than point and shoot. That being said, I was asking a lot from the camera as the lighting, overhead, was terrible, there were definite color issues that had nothing to do with the camera and the shots themselves are boring. But that's not the point.
I started with the camera six inches from the toy which itself is less than 4 inches tall. I used three of the four focal length lenses of the camera, mostly as I am getting used to the controls still. Note: with all these photos, I have exported them into jpg form and shrunk them 50% so they would better fit the screen.
On the close image, you can see that the depth of field is VERY narrow and as such, the camera focused on the scarf and handlebar area. That being said, those parts ARE in focus. The color here is obviously skewed, but that's not the camera's fault. The lighting is off. That being said, from what I can tell so far, the camera does tend to skew towards the blues and greens. I clicked one filter tool, the auto-tone and got this result which is a pretty decent fix. Since no photo is perfect, I consider this a very minor thing indeed.
I then moved to about four feet and did more exposures and zooms:
The one thing to note here is the color shift between the far shot and the other shots. That's a bit close to the actual tone in the room but then the camera shifts back blue/green. Again, I don't really mind this especially as most cameras will shift one way or the other. Minor correction is not an issue. Focus is still good through it all.
Lastly, I moved out to about six feet and used three zoom levels:

This shows focal lengths; 28mm, 70mm and 150mm at six feet, focusing on a 4 inch target. I'm sure there are a lot more scientific ways of doing this, testing it, but I'm not a pro. I'm really looking for something to take the place of my iPhone and give me the kind of options I used to get from my point and shoot all in one, easy to use place. It's taking a little getting used to, as any new piece of tech will. While not hard, I do find some things slow which might make quick photos hard to take. I initially thought the camera did not have burst mode, which I couldn't believe. Turns out it's a setting, something that can be either on or off. When on, it works fine but the problem is that you have to know you want to take a burst ahead of time, turn it on then remember to turn it off unless you want to fill up your storage damned fast. There are also only 3 or 6 photo bursts. When I get a chance to shoot some action, I'll test how well they work.
Lastly, I went out last night and took a few very low light photos around the house. As a quick preview, here's one I took of a neighbor's well-lit shrub about three houses down at full zoom. I can't really complain about this. Magnify it and sure, things aren't utterly crisp. I'd be amazed if they were.






3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

RAW files have a range of exposures in them and I have been hearing that focus ranges are next. There was a small block like camera for 150$ a few years back that let you refocus an image after it was taken, but the files were about 1.5 megapixels - tiny! not sure if this is something the bigger camera makers will run with, but it is fascinating! A few technologies have had promise but disappeared when none of the big names like nikon or canon went with them. Keep experimenting!

T' said...

My partner saw my images and came into the studio with his Canon Rebel and a 135-200mm lens and shot the same toy. We compared shots and found them VERY similar with, to my eye, a very slight nod going to the Light for focus. That's what the light is supposed to do; replace a traditional DSLR and its cache of lenses. We'll see if it can do that, but I also want to see if it can replace my iPhone for ease of use.

Behemoth media said...

If you think you will carry it around with you, it's a good choice. The best camera is the one you have with you they say!