Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Most of my portrait work lately has come in under an hour, not because I'm trying to "speed paint," a term I pretty much loathe, but because that's all the time I have for them. Demonstrating stuff at work is a perk, I think and because of that, I try not to abuse it. If someone comes along and wants to ask about what I'm doing, or how I'm doing it, I want to and should stop to talk to them. That's part of the gig. That being said, I've liked the other portraits just fine though in some cases I can see where some more work would have made them a good deal better.

Today, I took some time before work, no pressure and worked off a photo I took right after taking off the orc costume from a day's worth of wandering about at the faire. I like how them makeup smears and, if I'm being candid, I actually like the way I look with my eyes blacked out. So I pulled out my tablet monitor, fired up PS and used some of those brushes I buy and rarely use. I kept it in black and white, except for the background as I saw a parallel between me and the 'warboys' from the most recent Mad Max movie. There's a small amount of tracing in this one, just for placement. The pencil sketch was completed just from observation and the paint was all done without the photo layer at all. I'm pretty happy with it; I think it's stark and not too complimentary. Mostly just meant as a bit of fun and to keep working.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I can't see you speed painting "happy little clouds" LOL I wouldn't say this isn't complimentary, I think it is, it's more you as a character and looks really cool and stands on it's own as an art piece aside from being you just out of costume. It looks like there is a story/character behind it.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. Speedpainting is a term the kids use to try and make their stuff seem that much better because it's 'fast.' Thing is, most of these supposed 'speed paintings' took like three hours which, to me, isn't speedy. 45 minutes? That's fast if it's something complete but really, NO ONE CARES how long it took to make something. People only care if it's good. So don't try and make something seem better because you didn't take a lot of time to make it. There. That's my rant. :"D Otherwise, I appreciate it. I like this image of me. I think one of the reasons I like doing self portraits is I can do whatever I want and not worry about insulting anyone.

Behemoth media said...

I agree no one really cares how long something took to do, though if it took along time you might get get some credit for sticking with it... or get hit with the awful "why did you spend so much time to do THAT?"