Tuesday, January 11, 2022


 Got a lot done today. A last detail, one I'd thought about using but wasn't sure was going to work was the leaf. I took a photo of this gargantuan leaf while walking through a park near my father's home in Hawaii. You never know when you're going to need or want reference like that. As soon as I decided to sit down and work on this, I knew it was going to be a part of this. Originally, it was just going to hang in the background. Then I thought about laying it down in perspective. I didn't remember it being so full of holes, so fragile, but that works to my advantage, though cutting all those damned holes out was a pain in the ass. To me it ads a sense of precariousness to the whole thing, perhaps evens suggesting that the solid chair/throne isn't sitting on something all that steady. Maybe its age. Or the reign won't last. Something like that. The only problem is that I think it leaves the upper background a bit too empty. I can also tell that this is a point where I should stop and step back, let it sit without me looking at it for awhile. Getting close, just not yet, I don't think.

4 comments:

Behemoth media said...

You are really pushing through it aren’t you? I love the leaf!

T' said...

Thanks. Finished now. :D

Behemoth media said...

Thanks for posting the references and sketches. This is a nice one and you put a lot into it. I often mix and max references and collage together a few images ,poses or details to get a better composition in the end. Sitting at south station 90 minutes early for my bus. I will lose wifi on the bus so I wanted to comment before that happens!

T' said...

I hope you have a good train ride. I bet it's a long one. I should post more reference materials. Thanks!