Tuesday, January 11, 2022






 I'm calling it done. I readjusted the leaf some so that all legs of the chair and his forward foot were actually ON the leaf. I also came up with a background that worked as well. I took one of the photos of a Hawaiian sunrise, vectorized it and 'dumbed' it down quite a bit. Also had to edit out some palm trees. They're clouds, but they're also somewhat nebulous, forming either horns or an imperfect halo around his head. I darkened the details of the face a little as well. There's symbolism here if one wants it; none of it was thought out ahead of time, but I can see where things can stand for other things.

The gesture could mean that he's directing people away, being dismissive or he's trying to draw attention away. The faded superman shirt could suggest someone who thought himself a hero but is fading along with his symbol. The chair is so much a throne, I couldn't have planned that if I tried. It suggests a king as does the red draped 'robe' on the back. The leaf, as a plinth is obviously delicate and tenuous. And the horns of the day, coming to an end, an imperfect halo could suggest the coming of the end of some kind. I can see where all these symbols could be interpreted in that manner. I honestly didn't choose any of them that way. My dad was dressed that way, in that chair. I did choose two photos where he's gesturing in one and looking away in another. I did position myself as I did, and I did choose the reference I did. This one just came together really well mostly on its own.

There's a lot of weight in this one, as it's my father. Our relationship, though he likely has no idea of this, has been troubled since I was little. I'm glad I did this, that I spent as much time as I did on it as well. I'm happy with it. All that remains is for it to be printed and framed, which I might do one day. I imagine it quite large, perhaps 2x4 feet or more. Likely, I never will print it but one never knows.

No comments: