Monday, December 12, 2022


 Me, Drawing Me, Drawing Me. Finally finished this. I ended up re-drawing nearly everything at some point. After talking to my buddy Vince, I knew the last step was going to be to replace the foreground mic stand as it just wasn't cutting it. I knew I wanted a limited color palette and very dulled colors as well. I think this kind of feels like a woodblock print, and I'm ok with that. I really wanted to do another portrait that had most of the figure in it. Though it wasn't originally in the composition, I added much of the real background, too. It helped add a feeling of place without taking away from the figure. That being said, I left a LOT out. There's a whole other bookcase on the other side of the door but it wouldn't have added anything and would have likely wiped out the feeling of depth given by the mic stand.

I'm hoping this will get me out of my portrait phase for a little bit and let me do some more free drawings for City Silent. That project has languished which doesn't make me happy. I am pretty pleased with the progress I've made with portraits this year, don't get me wrong, but that comic is NEVER going to get finished. And honestly, the two tracks I've done this year were leaps and bounds over what I'd done before. Well, progress is progress.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

I like the final image, you look like you are concentrating but relaxed while working. Adding the background really gives it a sense of place. I am going to (try) set up some sort of schedule for me to get through the many projects I have on a back burner. There are at least 6 Short stories I started and haven’t finished and after my trip I have a backlog of artwork to do now too. Plus I told the picnic I would try and self publish a dvd of the doc so they can sell it. I want to clear up the sound a little more in Final Cut. I figure this is all about 2 years of stuff to to work on!

T' said...

That does sound like quite the roster! Let me know when the short story book comes out. I'd like to read the new ones. As for the Picnic, dear gods you must be tired of that by now! You've edited it how many times?