Saturday, August 23, 2014

Inking is an editing process. It's not just darkening the lines of what you've already drawn, it's a process of re-thinking and making decisions. And unless you draw the brushstrokes ahead of time in pencil, the inked version will have a very different emphasis than the penciled one because of the variance of line. Every line you ink is a decision, an edit. Everything can change from pencil to ink. Some extra line weight here and there can make a change between innocence and anger. Not that I think I've done that here, it's just something that was going through my head. For whatever reason, I decided to scan the pencil version of this one before inking it so I have a record, even if I'm not erasing the pencil in these. So yes, here's the fifth version of this from the same photo. This time I left the glasses off and was a bit kinder to myself. I think I look a lot younger and less sad, hopefully more inquisitive. Or something.

No comments: