Monday, January 08, 2018

Another page (finally) of City Silent done. The thumbnail for this one simply said, "lyrics with paint-over." Since discovering that Procreate does nifty things with spraypainting textures, I decided to do the lyrics on the iPad, exporting the image and shoving it through Super Vectorizer with a reasonable number of colors (15). Setting them to multiply did the trick. I also wanted an underlayer, one that had graffiti on it that was noticeable as graffiti but wasn't necessarily legible, as if someone had painted over a wall and someone else had come around and painted atop that, much as real graffiti is done.

Originally, I was going to have a layer between lyrics and old graffiti that was a stylized Howard, such as Silas would paint but decided that this would be too visually confusing. Casually dropping a silhouette from page 7, I decided that was the way to go so I quickly posed, made a sketch then a shape in AD. The silhouette is sandwiched between two separate layers of digital 'paint' from Procreate meant to look like that paintover. Pretty happy with the results as it did exactly what I wanted it to. The text isn't as straight as I might like it to be, but it feels like quickly written spray (it wasn't; I did this at least ten times). Next page won't be like this but here's hoping to a better frequency this year on this comic. I'm ALMOST out of the cafe.

No comments: