Thursday, January 04, 2018

Early, for me, morning character design. The next page of Ghiroy will have a bit of a 'reveal,' and for that I have to introduce two new 'monsters.' Since this comic is based on 1st edition D+D (for those nerds who care), I wanted to base the ancillary characters, races etc. on the descriptions and art from the original books. These are the ones I used in high school, the game that got me into this whole thing. That being said, the source material is...sketchy in some areas, to put it kindly. The drawings were crude in a lot of cases, but they were all we had and we took what we could get. That being said, these guys, Kobolds, were -meant- to be short, lizard people. The artist in question gave them a kind of dog-like snout and scales. I honestly think that Kobolds were designed so that entry-level characters had something they could safely kick around. These guys came out kind of cute, which isn't a bad thing in this case; they're not meant to be frightening at all. They're also not affected by the plague everything else is. Perhaps we'll even see some in town, when we eventually get to one.

These came together rather quickly and easily, which is a nice change. The top image is the sketch page I did on the iPad, the lower is the colored versions done in AD.

2 comments:

Behemoth media said...

This looks great as always...
I noticed that little comments I made on your last few posts are not there! Hopefully this one gets through!

T' said...

Haven't seen any other comments, no. Don't know what happened. This is the first one in awhile. No biggie.