Thursday, January 18, 2018

Page 19 of The City Silent. There were a lot of false starts with this one, which I'll document later. Woke up this morning, or was I thinking about it late last night, I don't remember, where I thought of moving in for a close up then decided to go to Howard's hands instead of his face. I think they still tell a story and they're something different than I've done with the comic before. I tried to 'emote' with my hands while taking photos. I think it works.

That being said, there's something that I'm starting to re-think. It's the three fingered hands. When I started "Fite!" fifteen years ago, I was trying to emulate animation as I wanted action. Traditionally, animation uses three fingered hands because it's cheaper and quicker to draw three fingers instead of four. Or so I read. That being said, I can make it work with hands like these, ones that aren't entirely unrealistic and are less cartoony. But should I? It's a lot harder to leave one finger off, to redesign anatomy I don't really understand in the first place. Should I keep doing it? I don't know. When we get to Silas, he'll be using feathered fingers, so I don't know if it'll matter. I threw the question open on tumblr though I don't expect any responses there.

3 comments:

Behemoth media said...

The hands are so well done that I did not even notice they had three fingers at first. So I agree 5 fingers are a better standard maybe, but in this case the posing of the hands makes the 3 or 4 finger thing secondary to the final product which looks great.

T' said...

Thanks, Vince. There don't bother me, either which is kind of weird because they should (even if they are my hands). The only one they bother so far is my partner even if this is a weird, leftover, not even followed convention from the old days of animation.

Behemoth media said...

You have been influenced from all eras of cartooning from what I see so why not use the 3 fingered standard now and then?