Friday, April 16, 2021




 Did a little sketch last night as I was looking up portrait artists from a book I really like called, "Painting People: Figure Painting Today." I experimented in the sandbox of Chinese painter Yi Chen for awhile, which was both fun and too easy to just ape his style. So I reached for pencil and paper and tried to work in one of my own abstract ones as that was the mood. The original idea was to paint something, perhaps mixing 2D and 3D styles. After messing about with Procreate, I decided to go back to my usual inking brush and let the lines be lines. When that was done, the natural thing was to go into AD, which I did. As soon as I got a couple colors down, I turned off the ink layer and knew that this was the way to go. I tried to keep the palette as limited as possible. As it is, there's about three colors more than I wanted but if I hadn't added them, the image would be TOO flat. I sampled colors from the reference photo, which was taken from the camera on my Mac, which is not wonderful, but shows me illuminated by the screen. I wanted to convey a feeling of sitting in front of the computer for too long and I think I managed that. Had I the space, I would transfer this to paint as big as 3 or 4 feet a side. I really like the idea of big, flat shapes painted on larger canvases. But until someone else thinks this is a good idea and ponies up the money, it'll stay digital. Perhaps I'll have it printed out some day.

No comments: